US District Court • Southern District of New York

The Hon. Charles L. Brieant Jr.
Federal Building and Courthouse
White Plains, New York

White Plains Courthouse

"Public buildings should encourage just pride in the state and be an education to oncoming generations to see these things, imponderable elements of life and character, set before the people for their enjoyment and betterment."
- Cass Gilbert, Architect

The Hon. Charles L. Brieant Jr.
Federal Building and Courthouse
Southern District of New York

300 Quarropas Street
White Plains, NY 10601-4150

Tel: (914) 390-4100
Fax: (914) 390-4180

Travel Directions

Robert Rogers
Deputy in Charge

Eleanor Harrold
Facilities Manager

United States District Judges

Judge Vincent L. Briccetti
Judge Kenneth M. Karas
Judge Nelson S. Roman
Judge Cathy Seibel

United States Magistrate Judges

Magistrate Judge Paul E. Davison
Magistrate Judge Judith C. McCarthy
Magistrate Judge Lisa Margaret Smith
Magistrate Judge George A. Yanthis

In 1978, the U.S. Congress designated White Plains, New York, where patriots fought for liberty on October 28, 1776 and the Declaration of Independence was first read in New York on July 10,1776, as a "place of holding court." On October 17, 1983, the United States Courthouse opened in White Plains, New York. This first courthouse was a leased facility, but in 1991, Congress authorized the construction of a new courthouse.

The new courthouse, located at 300 Quarropas Street, opened on May 15, 1995. On November 13, 1995, during the administration of President William J. Clinton, the U.S. Courthouse in White Plains, New York was so dedicated. Read more... (pdf) »

Both U.S. District Judges and U.S. Magistrate Judges preside over cases filed at the White Plains Courthouse. Each judge participates in Electronic Case Filing (ECF).

Also, located within the White Plains Courthouse are the Bankruptcy Court, Pretrial Services, Federal Defenders, U. S. Probation, U.S Marshal Service and an Office of the U.S. Attorney.

The White Plains Clerk’s Office is located on the first floor, directly behind the security check-in area.

Hours
The courthouse is open between 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. The Clerk’s Office opens for business at 8:30 a.m. and closes at 5:00 p.m.  Court Security Officers will open the courthouse doors at 8:15 a.m. and close these doors at 5:00 p.m.  Please allow extra time to pass through the security screening. Cell phones, tape recorders and cameras are prohibited inside the courthouse.