In accordance with Local Civil Rule 1.3, new applicants to the Bar are directed to file an application on-line at www.pacer.gov.
Before logging into Pacer:
- The attorney must read and meet the requirements of Local Rule 1.3
- Complete the SDNY Attorney Admission Application Form with wet signatures (electronic signatures are not accepted) and save to their desktop
- Prepare the affidavit pursuant to Local Rule 1.3 and save to their desktop (for EDNY Waivers only)
- Obtain the Certificate of Good Standing from the state courts in which the applicant is admitted. Here is the contact list for the state courts.
After completing or obtaining the forms, log into Pacer.gov using your individual Pacer account. Do not use a shared or firm account.
- In accordance with Local Civil Rule 1.3, new applicants to the Bar are directed to file an application, (and affidavit for EDNY waivers only), on-line at www.pacer.gov, attach pdf versions of the attorney admission application, and certificate(s) of good standing. Please carefully read the instructions on the PACER form at:
Pacer.gov > Manage My Account > Maintenance > Attorney Admissions/E-File Registration > District > New York Southern > Attorney Admission
- Complete the requested information in Pacer.gov.
- Attach the attorney admission application form, (and affidavit for EDNY waivers only) and certificates of good standing (all in pdf format) to the online application in Pacer.gov
- After the electronic submission is made in Pacer, court staff will review the application.
- If the application is not complete, staff will reject the application and state reasons for the rejection.
- If the application is complete and in order, staff will send the applicant an email with a link to pay the $206 attorney admission fee with instructions to call (212) 805-0800 after the payment is made to schedule their swearing-in date. If the attorney is waiving in from the EDNY, he or she does not have to appear for the swearing in ceremony but still must call to have their application process completed.
- The attorney will be provided a date to appear for the swearing in. Your sponsor is no longer required to appear for the ceremony.
- When the attorney appears at the courthouse, is sworn and admitted, he or she will be provided a SDNY Wall Certificate (if requested in advance) and a Certificate of Good Standing at the end of the ceremony.
- After the admission swearing in ceremony or your EDNY waive in process is completed, court staff will activate your SDNY ECF access in your individual Pacer account. Once your account has been activated you may file electronically in this district.
The Eastern District Of New York
Applicants to the bar are expected to be familiar with Local Rule 1.3, Admission to the Bar and, must complete an on-line petition for admission at www.pacer.gov, attach a pdf of the attorney admission application and your certificate of good standing from the Eastern District of New York, issued within the last 30 days. An affidavit is required and must be attached to your on-line petition.
Attorneys waiving in from the EDNY do not need to attend the ceremony ceremony or appear in person at the Clerk's Office.
Applicants may choose to be sworn-in either in New York or White Plains.
The following information is for New York only:
A ceremony is held before a U.S. District Judge or U.S. Magistrate Judge. Persons sponsoring the admission of an attorney may, and is encouraged to appear but are no longer required to do so. Attorneys wishing to reschedule a ceremony may do so by emailing Attorney Services at email@example.com.
The following information is for White Plains only:
In White Plains, admissions to the bar will be heard on a schedule to be published annually. A ceremony is held before a U.S. District Judge or U.S. Magistrate Judge. Persons sponsoring the admission of an attorney may, and is encouraged to appear but are no longer required to do so. Please call (914) 390-4010 if you need an adjournment. White Plains Ceremony Dates